Reddit is a platform that provides a network of communities based on different interests. Site members are known as Redditors, and they post content, which is then upvoted or downvoted by other members. Based on your interests, you can join various groups, called subreddits, where you can discuss topics with like-minded people.
While exploring Reddit, you will also come across videos that you may want to save. However, there’s no convenient Download button that allows users to quickly download these videos. Fortunately, there are some workarounds you can take advantage of. Here we show you a few methods to download Reddit videos on your Android phone or PC.
- 1. Slide for Reddit
- 2. The Reddit Bot
- 3. Viddit
- 4. Redditsave
- 5. Firefox Addon/Chrome Extension
- 6. Screen Recording
- Frequently Asked Questions
1. Slide for Reddit
There are plenty of apps that make Reddit a more eye-pleasing and palatable experience, but those in the know will tell you that Slide for Reddit (Android | iOS) ranks right among the best of them. Not only is it the best way to view Reddit, but it has a cool handy feature: a Reddit video downloader!
- To download videos on Reddit through Slide, open the app and go to the video you want to download so that it’s full-screen.
- Tap the three dots at the bottom-right corner.
- From the pop-up menu that appears at the bottom, tap either “Save MP4” or “Save MP4 to” to save the video. It couldn’t be simpler.
Another great app for browsing Reddit that also features a download button is Joey for Reddit, although it’s only available on Android.
2. The Reddit Bot
Telegram has a bot that helps users download video files, and Reddit has a similar bot. Reddit bots are fun little pieces of code that can help you perform a variety of things.
These bots can help you show battery percentage, convert non-metrics into metrics, post bold characters, or simply download a video. The best thing about these bots is that you don’t have to install them or do anything extra to take advantage of their power.
For our purposes, we will be using the “u/savevideo” Reddit bot that lets you save any video on Reddit. However, do note that you will not be able to download YouTube videos.
- Open the post that contains the video you wish to download on Reddit.
- Comment “u/savevideo” (without the quotes) and tap the “Post” button.
- Within a few seconds, the Reddit bot will share a comment with the link. In some cases, the bot will send you a direct message instead that contains the same link.
- Tap on this link to open a new page with the link to download in either HD or SD resolution.
Do note that Reddit often bans bots. Moreover, in some cases, this Reddit bot works within a few seconds, while other times, it may take several minutes to send you the link.
Downloading Reddit videos is easier using a third-party video downloader app. No matter which platform you are using to view Reddit, a dedicated video downloader app just makes your job easier.
In our case, we are making use of an app called Viddit. Download the Viddit app from the Google Play Store and install it. There is also an iOS app for Viddit, but it’s of much poorer quality, so we recommend sticking to Slide if you’re on iOS.
To start downloading videos with Viddit, follow these steps:
- Open the Reddit post that has the video you want to download.
- Hit the “Share” button underneath the video you want to download.
- Select the Viddit app from the “Share” menu that pops up.
- You’ll be taken straight to the Viddit app, where it will proceed to grab the link of the video from the link of the post. Note that it may take a few seconds to process the video.
- Once the process is done, hit the “Download” button to save the Reddit video.
- If you don’t want to download any apps to your phone or tend to use Reddit on your PC, you can make use of the viddit.red page.
- Click beneath the video’s “Share” option and on “Copy Link” from the drop-down menu, as shown below.
- Paste it into the viddit.red link box, and it will generate a link for you to download the video.
- Press the “Download HD Video” button to save it to your machine.
There are multiple Reddit video-downloading websites available that can help you grab the video you want to download. A popular website for doing this is Redditsave, which is a nice, clean website that you can access from your mobile browser as well as from PC.
- To download the video using Redditsave, you need to open the Reddit post containing the video.
- Hit the “Share” button.
- Press the “Copy” button to copy the video’s link to your clipboard.
- Open the Redditsave website on another tab and paste the link you just copied.
- Press “Download.”
- Once the video is grabbed from the link by Redditsave, hit one of the two green buttons below.
5. Firefox Addon/Chrome Extension
If you find yourself mostly browsing Reddit on your PC via your browser, you may want to install a Chrome extension or a Firefox addon to help you with the task of saving videos off Reddit.
Give Download Reddit Videos a try (a website and Chrome counterpart are also available) if you’re a Firefox user.
- Install the extension, then navigate to a Reddit video.
- Right-click on the time when the video was posted. You can find this info at the top of the video card next to the video poster’s Reddit username.
- Select the “Download Reddit Videos with Sound” option.
- You’ll be automatically redirected to the Reddit Video Downloader site, where you’ll be offered various options to download your video. Choose the one that works best for you.
6. Screen Recording
If you don’t find any of the methods above appealing, you could try instead to take advantage of your device’s built-in screen recording capabilities. For instance, ever since Android 10, Google has introduced a native screen recording capability which users can start using with just a few swipes.
If you’re unsure how to use this feature, we have an article that takes you through all the steps of screen recording on Android. If you’re on iOS, here’s how you can screen record on your Apple device. Just go to the Reddit app, tap on the video you want to save, make sure it’s playing in full screen, then turn on the recorder option.
Alternatively, it’s possible to screen record even if you prefer to use Reddit on Windows or Mac.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I download Reddit videos as GIFs?
Yes! There’s a function in the Slide app that lets you download videos as GIFs. You’ll find it next to the three-dot menu in the app. Otherwise, once you download your Reddit video, you can upload it to a site like EZGIF that will convert videos to GIFs for you.
Can I download Reddit videos with sound?
Yes, the above sites and apps should download your Reddit videos with sound (if the video has sound, of course).
Why can't I download certain Reddit videos?
Some Reddit posts will embed videos from third-party websites, such as YouTube or other external videos, and some of the apps we’ve listed in this article don’t support such formats. If you can’t download a Reddit video using one of the methods described in this post, switch to one of the other options outlined and see if that works instead.
Image credit: Unsplash All screenshots by Alexandra Arici
Alexandra is passionate about mobile tech and can be often found fiddling with a smartphone from some obscure company. She kick-started her career in tech journalism in 2013, after working a few years as a middle-school teacher. Constantly driven by curiosity, Alexandra likes to know how things work and to share that knowledge with everyone.
Subscribe to our newsletter!
Our latest tutorials delivered straight to your inbox
Here's what to do. Copy the Reddit video's URL using the “Share” link or copying from the address bar. Go to the RedditSave website, paste the copied URL, then click on “Download.” The new page that loads displays the video's title, a preview image, the audio status, and presents your download options.Is there a bot to download Reddit videos? ›
Using Reddit bot
Open Reddit on your device and navigate to the post with the video that you want to download. Go to the comment section of the video, type u/SaveVideo and tap the Post button. In a few seconds, you'll receive a message from the Reddit bot containing a link.
- RedV Video Downloader.
- Keepvid Video Downloader.
- Viddit. red Online Video Downloader.
- Keepsaveit Video Downloader.
- Save Videos from Online Video Downloader.
- RIPSAVE Video Downloader.
- Simply tap the Video to go full-screen and then tap the Download button on the bottom right corner. ...
- Now, open redditsave.com on the Safari web browser and Paste the link in the input field.
Here's how: Go to the video on Reddit that you want to download and click on the “Share” button below it. A menu will pop up, select “Copy Link” here. Now go to the RedditSave website and paste this link in the search bar and click on “Download”.How do I copy the URL of a Reddit video? ›
To use it, right click on the full link to a post (from the main page, this is the link saying "54 comments", or whatever number), and click "Get direct video link." A dialog will pop up allowing you to copy it directly. Does not support videos with sound, this is only for GIFs hosted by reddit.How do you save a video on Reddit Mobile 2022? ›
Open the post that contains the video you wish to download on Reddit. Comment “u/savevideo” (without the quotes) and tap the “Post” button.Are Reddit bots allowed? ›
Unlike many platforms, Reddit is actually bot-friendly. It even provides an application programming interface (API), which developers are encouraged to use while creating their bots. However, you need to keep in mind that Reddit has certain rules that must be followed to avoid being banned.How do I find a bot on Reddit? ›
When the recent comments are fairly similar to each other (the average difference ratio is high), then it's more likely to be a bot. When they have dissimilar comments, low comment karma, and high link karma, they are more likely to be a troll.What is the best Reddit app? ›
- Relay for Reddit. ...
- Slide for Reddit. ...
- Infinity for Reddit. ...
- Joey for Reddit. ...
- Boost for Reddit. ...
- Now for Reddit. ...
- Apollo. ...
- BaconReader. While BeaconReader is nowhere near close to Apollo in terms of look and overall functionality, it offers a good enough experience to ditch the official Reddit app.
- r/ggggg. What's your favorite letter in the alphabet? ...
- r/SEUT. Squirrels eating acorns is passé. ...
- r/mildlyinteresting. Some things are incredibly interesting. ...
- r/wheredidthesodago. ...
- r/AnimalsWithoutNecks. ...
- r/TalesFromRetail. ...
- r/TVTooHigh. ...
If you're an avid follower of trap music, then you know the popular trap subreddit r/trap is the place to find new music, new artists, and a strong community of trap lovers.How do I go back to the old Reddit 2022 video player? ›
To go back to the old Reddit layout, use “old.reddit.com” to access it.Can you Download Reddit on Iphone? ›
REDDIT, INC. Requires iOS 14.0 or later. Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.Where do Reddit saved videos go? ›
To view your saved post, go to your profile and click on the saved tab.How can I Download any video? ›
- Online video downloaders like Freemake, catch. tube, etc.
- Video downloader extensions like FastestTube.
- Android apps like Video Grabber.
- Software like VideoProc.
Right-click the link or image you want to copy the address. In the right-click menu that appears choose the right-click, Copy link address, or Copy link location option (varies by browser).Is Redditsave com safe? ›
Considered safe by WOT
3845 reviews were added by WOT community members in the past week!
If you use copyrighted material on your posts (and didn't ask for permission and were granted permission to use it) then yes, you can get a copyright strike against you from Reddit posts, have the content removed and, potentially have your Reddit account suspended or removed.What is telegram used for Reddit? ›
It allows you to send messages, photos, videos and files of any type.
Promoting OnlyFans on Reddit is different
Most subreddits don't allow selling and you should avoid advertising that you sell as much as possible. Unless you're posting to a promotional OnlyFans subreddit (avoid these) or to your profile, don't mention selling.
- Don't Jump in Right Away. CGP Grey. ...
- Don't Beg for Upvotes. ...
- Don't Repost Content. ...
- Don't Leave Worthless Comments. ...
- Don't Downvote Content You Disagree With. ...
- Don't Self-Promote. ...
- Don't Share Anyone's Personal Info. ...
- Don't Be a Jerk.
The Reddit Content Policy applies to all content, including chats, on Reddit Live. Broadcasts on Reddit may not include NSFW (“Not Safe for Work”) content.What is the best welcoming bot? ›
MEE6 – This is the best Discord bot for managing a server. It lets you welcome new users and kick those that violate server rules.How do you detect a bot? ›
- If you see any irregular spikes in traffic, take a closer look at it.
- Check if a channel is contributing to most new sessions and users.
- Multiple bot hits can slow down your server performance.
- An increase in activity on your site from a remote location could be from bots.
Selftext: For self-posts, the body of the post. For example, selftext:cats. Site: The domain of the submitted URL. For example, site:example.com. Subreddit: The submission's subreddit.Are there spam bots on Reddit? ›
These are bots that just scan a news article or headline, looking for keywords, and then post that news story to any subreddit matching the keywords. I ban at least 3 or 4 of these per day.What is better than Reddit? ›
- Hive Blog. The first on our list of the 10 best alternatives to Reddit in 2022 is Hive. ...
- Quora. We are sure Quora needs no introduction. ...
- Imgur. Imgur is an online image-sharing and hosting platform that has focus on social gossip. ...
- Slashdot. ...
- 9GAG. ...
- Mashable. ...
- Product Hunt. ...
The “Times Square Right now” post on Reddit is the most upvoted post. It became such a sensation in 2021 and continues to do the same in 2022 too.What is Reddit actually used for? ›
Reddit is a social news website and forum where content is socially curated and promoted by site members through voting. The site name is a play on the words "I read it." Reddit member registration is free, and it is required to use the website's basic features.
- 2 / 13. List slides. r/HumanoidEncounters. ...
- 3 / 13. List slides. r/OldSchoolCreepy. ...
- 4 / 13. List slides. r/LetsNotMeet. ...
- 5 / 13. List slides. r/UnresolvedMysteries. ...
- 6 / 13. List slides. r/ThreeKings. ...
- 7 / 13. List slides. r/EvilBuildings. ...
- 8 / 13. List slides. r/TheTruthIsHere. ...
- 9 / 13. List slides.
Another example of inappropriate content that can be accessed by anyone with just one click is NSFL (Not Safe for Life), referring to explicit content that is likely to be horrific and traumatizing. Reddit is also known to have a cyberbullying risk as some angry people find pleasure in leaving mean comments for others.What is Subreddits NSFW? ›
One aspect of Reddit worth to be analyzed involves NSFW (Not Safe For Work) posts. This term refers to user-submitted content not suitable to be viewed in public or in professional contexts.What does R r4r mean on Reddit? ›
r4r stands for “redditor for redditor”. Create your local area with the start of r4r lookup and you may get local subreddit.What are some secret Subreddits? ›
- 1) r/tipofmytongue.
- 2) r/WritingPrompts.
- 3) r/dataisbeautiful.
- 4) r/educationalgifs.
- 5) r/OutOfTheLoop.
- 6) r/whatisthisthing.
- 7) r/AskHistorians.
- 8) r/budgetfood.
Join Popular Subreddits
Big subreddits like r/funny and r/pics are where millions of people go to hang out, so if you post something that goes over well with them, you can earn lots of karma from that post alone.
Open the Reddit post that has the video you wish to save. Tap the Share button and select Viddit from the Share Sheet. Viddit app would fetch the link of the post, parse it, and find the video file. It may take a few seconds to process the video but once done, it would save the video to the Android phone automatically.How do you save Reddit posts to files? ›
- To save a post, tap the bookmark icon on the top right-hand corner of the post. Or if you're looking at a post in a feed, tap the “...” menu on the top right-hand corner of the post and select Save.
- To view your saved posts, tap on your avatar to open your profile menu and tap Saved.
This is so awesome for air travel and times when you are away from WiFi. It's completely customizable and easy to read and navigate. Turn off pictures if you don't have much space.
|Email address (if you have provided one)||https://www.reddit.com/settings/account|
|Recent IP addresses||https://www.reddit.com/account-activity|
Access Saved Posts on Reddit Mobile App
- Launch the Reddit app on your mobile device.
- Tap on your Avatar in the top right corner.
- Tap on the “Saved” option to open all the saved posts.